11. Mimusops elengi plants ( मौलसरी )
- Habit : A small evergreen tree with a compact leafy head.
- Leaves : Elliptic, acute.
- Inflorescence : Solitary or in fascicle of 2-6.
- Flowers : White, fragrant, pedicle deflexed. Calyx hairy, segments 8, the outer 4, ovate lanceolate, the 4 inner…
- White, fragrant, pedicle deflexed.
- Calyx hairy, segments 8, the outer 4, ovate lanceolate, the 4 inner narrower than outer.
- Corolla longer than calyx lobes 24, in 2-series, the inner series of 8, the outer of 16, linear, oblong, acute.
Mimusops elengi is a medium-sized evergreen tree found in tropical forests in South Asia, Southeast Asia and northern Australia. In Tamilnadu, India it is called as ‘Magizhampoo’. English common names include Spanish cherry, medlar, and bullet wood. Its timber is valuable, the fruit is edible, and it is used in traditional medicine. As the trees give thick shade and flowers emit fragrance, it is a prized collection of gardens.